The objectives and starting points for Mistra’s asset management, and its portfolio composition and development, are as follows:
- Assets under management: SEK 3 billion (31 March 2020).
- Asset depletion is permitted.
- Long-term return target: Real return of 2 percent per year1.
- Investment in funds with a clear sustainability profile.
- Cooperation with managers who share Mistra’s basic values.
Detailed information about Mistra’s investment policy is available here.
1) This means that the real return, defined as the return less the development for Statistics Sweden’s consumer price index (CPI), should exceed 2 percent per year over time. Long-term return target until December 31, 2019: risk-free interest rate (measured as the interest rate on 3-month government debt) plus a risk premium of 2 percent.
The normal portfolio is composed of 40% equity funds, 40% interest-bearing funds and 20% alternative investments.
|Equity funds 40%||40%|
|Interest-bearing funds 40%||40%|
|Alternative investments 20% %||20%|
At 31 March 2020 the composition was 44,9.% equity funds, 33,7% interest-bearing funds and 15,7% alternative investments, while liquid funds make up 5.7%. This composition deviates from that of the normal portfolio mainly because of the favourable trend of Mistra’s equity funds, and thus the rise in the proportion of the portfolio consisting of these funds.
Whole portfolio, 31 March 2020
|Equity funds 44,9%||44,9%|
|Interest-bearing funds 33,7%||33,7%|
|Alternative investments 15,7 %||15,7%|
|Fund||Manager||Share of portfolio (%)||Change since 31 Dec. 2019 (SEK m)||Asset class|
|Öhman räntefonder *||Öhman||25,3||-16,7||interest-bearing fund|
|Generation IM Global Equity Fund||Generation||21,6||-129,9||equity fund|
|Captor Dahlia Green||Captor||6,9||-7,8||interest-bearing fund|
|Thule Real Estate Fund||Skandia||6,5||0,0||real estate fund|
|Lannebo Sverige Plus||Lannebo||5,2||-49,2||equity fund|
|Enter Select Pro||Enter||5,2||-41,0||equity fund|
|Öhman Global Hållbar||Öhman||4,8||-25,7||equity fund|
|Stewart Investors Worldwide Sustainability Fund||First State||4,6||-12,7||equity fund|
|Nordkinn Fixed Income Macro Fund||Nordkinn||3,6||0,7||hedge fund|
|SEB Microfinance Fund IV||SEB||2,1||0,0||microfinance fund|
|Generation IM Climate Solutions Fund II||Generation||1,9||3,3||venture-capital fund|
|M&G Impact Financing Fund||M&G Investments||1,5||-3,6||interest-bearing fund|
|Lyxor SEB Impact Fund||SEB||1,5||1,7||equity fund|
|Nordic Cleantech Private Equity Sub-Fund||LGT Capital Partners||0,8||1,2||venture-capital fund|
|Alder Fund I||Alder||0,7||0,0||venture-capital fund|
|Generation IM Climate Solutions Fund I||Generation||0,2||0,6||venture-capital fund|
|Generation IM Global Credit Fund||Generation||0,0||0,2||interest-bearing fund|
* Öhman FRN Hållbar, Öhman Företagsobligation Hållbar, Öhman Grön Obligation (‘Green Bond’), Öhman Kort Ränta, Öhman Obligationsfond, Öhman Räntefond Kompass Hållbar.
‘Q1 2020: Corona pandemic spread around the world, economies closed down and stock exchanges collapsed. So did Mistra’s portfolio, which lost 9 percent.’
(Märtha Josefsson, Mistra’s Asset Management Committee, April 2020)
Mistra’s funds are managed (31 March 2020) by:
|Manager||Share of portfolio (%)|
|Generation Investment Management||23,7|
|Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken||5,5|
|First State / Stewart Investors||4,6|
|Nordkinn Asset Management||3,6|
|LGT Capital Partners||0,8|
So far in 2020, the return on Mistra’s portfolio has been -8.9%. Alternative investments have returned 1.2%, interest-bearing investments -2.7% and equity funds -16.9%. The average return on the total portfolio over the past five years has been 4.8%.
|Equities||Interest-bearing||Alternative investments||Total portfolio|
|Year to date||-16.9 %||-2.7 %||1.2 %||-8.9 %|
|Past five years||7.6||0.3||6.9||4.8|