Published 2020-06-22This post is also available in Swedish
Mistra seeks new CFO
Our current Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is due to retire. We are therefore looking for a new person who welcomes the challenge of administering and developing the Foundation in close cooperation with the rest of the team.
We do not wish to be contacted by staffing and recruitment companies or advertisers, since we have already chosen our partners in connection with this recruitment.
Mistra, the Swedish Foundation for Strategic Environmental Research, invests in strong research environments that, in collaboration with users, help to solve key environmental problems for a good living environment and sustainable development. From the foundation capital, we invest some SEK 200 million annually in research, most of which is conducted in major interdisciplinary research programmes and research centres. The CFO is responsible for the Foundation’s accounting and financial statements, and administration of its capital assets. The CFO reports directly to the CEO.
Mistra’s office, with a staff of ten, is located in central Stockholm. Our current CFO is due to retire. We are therefore looking for a new person who welcomes the challenge of administering and developing the Foundation in close cooperation with the rest of the team. Currently, we have some 20 research programmes in progress. These concern areas such as climate, circular economy, sustainable consumption, food supply, natural-resource management and chemicals management.
We are looking for someone who has relevant higher education with a focus on financial administration (graduate of an MBA course, Business and Economics degree or equivalent). The position requires several years’ work experience in advanced accounting, financial control and strategic development focusing on financial matters. We look favourably on candidates with knowledge of public procurement and drafting of agreements. Experience of public administration is a further qualification. We also value experience in administering asset management. You are well accustomed to using relevant IT systems in your work.
We set great store by personal qualities. You enjoy working towards common goals in cooperation with a group of people whose skills are varied. You are proactive, responsible, thorough and unconcerned with prestige. You will be keen to ensure that the financial administration at Mistra functions smoothly. You are interested in environmental and sustainability issues and, jointly with other employees at Mistra, in getting involved in the programmes we fund. You see benefits of working in a small organisation and with a high degree of independence. You have a good ability to express yourself in speech and writing in both Swedish and English.
Duties and responsibilities
The position involves being in charge of a wide range of administrative, financial and legal tasks.
Financial role in the Secretariat
- Leading the Secretariat’s work on budgets, continuous accounting, monitoring, financial statements and annual accounts.
- Participating in and providing financial reports at the Foundation’s Board meetings.
- Being responsible for continuous development of the Secretariat’s administrative processes, systems and procedures so that they are appropriate, efficient and well documented, meet the requirements set for activities and enable good internal management and control.
- Supervising and supporting other co-workers in the Secretariat regarding financial administration, for example in procurement and drafting of agreements.
- In close collaboration with the CEO, being responsible for administration of the Foundation’s asset management by participating in meetings with the Foundation’s Asset Management Committee and executing the Committee’s decisions.
Mistra’s research initiatives
- In close cooperation with programme directors at the Secretariat, being in charge of handling financial administration issues related to Mistra’s research initiatives.
- Developing cooperation with administrative managers in the research programmes to streamline and continuously improve Mistra’s practices.
- Ensuring that financial auditing of Mistra’s research programmes is carried out.
- Representing the Foundation in networks and joint projects with other research funders and organisations, with the aim of following developments in research administration and finance.
We would like to receive your application on 20 August at the latest. The application, in the form of a PDF file, must include a personal letter and CV. Mark your application ‘Mistra CFO’ and send it to email@example.com.
Further information about the position is available from Anna Jöborn, the Foundation’s CEO, telephone +46-(0)8 791 1024 or firstname.lastname@example.org.